Saturday, June 14, 2014

Widgets

Treasure Map for Teachers #1





Let the summer blogging begin!  

I am excited about kicking off a summer series called "Treasure Map for Teachers" that will showcase amazing treasures that every teacher should know about.  My goal is to find items that any teacher could use and be excited about.  I often come across some "jewels" that I just "have to share"!  This series will be your "treasure map" to finding them, too!  Here we go!

Free Fonts Friday!


I love fonts!  Even better, I love FREE fonts!   Every Friday this summer, you will be able to pick up a free font at The Teaching Tribune.  How awesome is that?


Think Marks 


I have two sons, one in college and one in high school.   They both have been required to annotate their assigned reading since 7th grade.  It can be a difficult skill to learn at that age.  However, successful readers in high school and college are active (not passive) readers, interacting with every assigned text.  Below is an example of excellent annotation at the high school level:


Imagine creating the routine of active reading in the foundational grades?  There is an immense benefit to building this process as soon as children start to comprehend what they are reading.  By writing a simple symbol, students are utilizing building blocks to metacognition….very powerful.  

Thank you to Just a Primary Girl for creating this awesome resource and providing it for FREE at her TPT Store.  

Sheppard Software


This is one of my favorite websites for kids.  If you have not explored it, you are missing a valuable and FREE resource to utilize in your classroom.  It literally has hundreds of educational games on many subjects starting from pre-K on up to college and adult learning.

One of my favorites is the food chain activities.  It is a great interactive lesson to practice what we've learned about producers, consumers, and decomposers.  


Sheppard Software's math activities are excellent and fun.  I love using this website as part of the centers in my classroom.  I've even used it to help me learn how to play Mahjong!


I hope you found some "treasures" today!  If you did, please leave a comment!  I'd love to know if I've helped you find some jewels!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...