Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Widgets

Can I get your input, please?




Pretty, pretty please with sprinkles on top?   Okay, I'll owe ya one! No really, I will!

I'm in the process of putting together a presentation for a break-out session at our Math Districtwide Meeting.   The goal of my session is to introduce teachers to the wealth of resources that are available on the internet.  It's hard for us bloggers to believe, but there are lots of teachers out there that are very flustered by computers and the internet.  

I plan to tell them about Pinterest, Teacher Blogs, TPTand TN.  They are ALL fabulous.  But I'd also like to include some sites that aren't so mainstream.  

For example, I love Xtra Math, a fact-fluency practice program.  It is free and easy to set up.  It is also very challenging.  Out of the 44 students I had last year in 4th grade, I only had 8 that completely mastered all 4 operations.  It also sends the teacher a brief report on each student's progress. 

Another great website is Mr. Nale's Virtual Classroom.  He has lots of resources by subject and grade.  His Math section has interactive games, homework and unit reviews.  Although he uses Everyday Math, it can all be adapted to your classroom.

I would love for you, my talented teacher-blogger friends (yes, I'm buttering you up!), to share a web-based math or math-related resource that you can't live without.  Here's the best part....if you contribute, I will send you a copy of the resource directory I will be giving out during my training session.   Just leave a comment following this post with your suggestion.  

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!


Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. IXL.com has a wide variety of skills to practice and is leveled by grade. Our district provides a log-in to each student and teacher, so they can practice at home (or at a library, on an iPad, etc.) and in school. Best part: the teacher gets a class report each week. You can also look up student practice and progress at any time and print up a report.

    GregTangMath.com is a great resources for fact fluency. My coworker found this one, shared it with me, and now the students are hooked!

    Claire
    Live, Laugh, Love, Teach
    livelaughloveteachblog@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, but I'm no help on your question about websites. I am, however, your newest follower.

    Kelly
    Teaching Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like scoot pad.
    http://www.scootpad.com
    It's a free site that differentiates math and reading skills for each student. Even better, each skill is aligned with the common core; which means nothing to us texans....but I hear it's pretty rad!

    Carrie :)
    1stgradecurtis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a math teacher, but I have heard about the Khan Academy. It is a great app, website that shows kids how to solve problem types. It also has science and other topics.

    I also like www.aaamath.com. It is free and you can select skills by grade for practice.

    Another site alot of our teachers use is aplusmath.com and coolmathforkids.com. Cool math for kids has more games, but they are learning based and can be a lot of fun.

    Good luck on your presentation.

    Nicole Rutledge

    Teaching, Stitching, and Parenting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greg Tang Math also has games that my class LOVED last year. Kakooma was the favorite. Unfortunately, it's not free. My district paid for year long subscriptions.

    I also found this awesome list of math literature. It's on the blog Love 2 Learn 2 Day: http://love2learn2day.blogspot.com/p/math-book-lists-tba.html

    Hope that helps!
    Bee
    Bee Teaches

    ReplyDelete
  6. We will be using Dreambox Math which is fantastic. It differentiates lessons and games to what the kids need and tracks their progress. The kids love it. We also use Education City which has fun games by standard and grade level. Our school pays for those because we love them. I've also heard good things about sum dog.

    Mercedes
    Surfingtosuccess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone! I'm appreciate you taking the time to comment. My presentation is on Aug. 21, so feel free to add more comments! Thanks!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loooove the National Library of Virtual Manipulatives, the NCTM Illuminations site, and abc ya and CoolMath4Kids.com for games! The first two are especially great on the SmartBoard or projector!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrogslilypad@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love using foldables with my students! I am huge on interactive notebooks and Dinah Zike. It allows the students to show the concept in multiple ways, ensuring they understand the concept's different aspects.

    Ex. Taking 1/4 and writing it in words, symbols, and drawing a representation of it. The books come with CDs that have directions on how to fold different ones, and ones that are editable that can have typed info in them too.

    Hope this helps!

    Ms. W
    Hootin’ Around the Classroom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...