Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Widgets

Do you have a Class Pet?






Meet our class pets!  


Having a class pet was not on my radar until my son's friend was moving and couldn't take his fish, Clover.  We started the year with Clover and the kids absolutely loved the little fish.  They loved having the responsibility of feeding Clover as a class job.  Clover showed up in their math journals, story problems, and artwork.  I was wondering why I hadn't thought of this before.  


Then the unthinkable happened....Clover died.  The students handled it pretty well, but they missed having a pet.  A few weeks later, one of my very tender-hearted little boys came to school with two beautiful Beta fish.  He told me their names were Mr. Bates and Mr. Carson.  If you are a Downton Abbey fan (as I am!), you will recognize these names.  The class was so excited! 


Later, his mom told me he used his allowance money to buy the fish.  I was so touched.  At the end of the school year, I asked him if he wanted to keep the fish.  He wouldn't hear of it.  He said the fish belonged in our classroom for next year's class to enjoy!  The whole experience was priceless.  Now, Mr. Bates and Mr. Carson are keeping me company this summer next to my computer.  It's a little extra work, but I think I will always have a fish in my class. 


Do you have a class pet?  I would love to hear about your experiences with a class pet!



q Diane r



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...