Saturday, December 15, 2012

Widgets

Picture of Innocence


I lived in Connecticut for 14 years in a community that was very near Newtown.  We have friends there. We attended swim meets there.  I always loved their beautiful library.  My husband was responsible for the safety and maintenance of natural gas pipeline station that was just down the road from the Sandy Hook school.  We often went to the beach at Lake Zoar in Sandy Hook. It is unfathomable that a tragedy like this would strike this beautiful town. 

I am filled with grief.  As a teacher, a mother, and a friend, I am devastated beyond words.  It hits home on so many levels.  But it  really became personal when my friend posted this picture that her 1st grader drew while on lockdown yesterday in a nearby school. Thank God, her daughter is safe.  But when I think of her angelic face, it is more than I can bear.  

To me, this picture represents the magic and anticipation that every child feels at this time of the year. It represents the hope and joy that those innocent angels woke with yesterday morning.  The only solace I can feel is that my faith assures me that they will be celebrating Jesus's birthday with him in heaven.  

During this holiday season, with our families near to us, I hope that more people will begin to focus on and appreciate what they have, instead of what they don't have.......because, you never know when what you have can be taken away from you. 

May God comfort the parents and families of the victims. May he wrap them in love and peace in the days to come. 


2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said, Diane! God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kristin. Merry Christmas to you and Chris and your families!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...